University of the German Federal Armed Forces Munich
- Conflict Prediction: Theory and Methodology (postgraduate)
Advanced seminar on peace & conflict studies and machine learning (R). Co-taught, single term.
- Conflict Prediction: Theory and Methodology (undergraduate)
Introductory tutorial on peace & conflict studies and machine learning (R). Co-taught, single term.
University of Mannheim
- Militias, Militaries, and Peacekeepers: Structure, Effectiveness, and Civil-Military Relations (undergraduate)
Seminar on the role of security forces in conflict. Single term. [Evaluations]
University of Essex
- Advanced Methods (postgraduate)
Seminar on basic and advanced econometrics (Stata & R). Full year. [Evaluations]
Module supervisor: Alejandro Quiroz Flores.
- Political Explanation (postgraduate)
Seminar on basic and advanced topics in social science data analysis (R). Full year. [Evaluations]
Module supervisor: Daina Chiba.
- Violent Non-State Actors: Violence, Conflict and Crime (undergraduate)
Lectures on terrorism, cartel violence, and private military firms. Single term. [Evaluations]
Module supervisor: Natasha Lindstaedt.
- Quantitative Data Management and Analysis in R, German Youth Institute (DJI)
Research staff training on data management and analysis (R). Two workshops, three days each. [Evaluations]
Essex Summer School in Social Science Data Analysis
- Introduction to R
Boot camp seminar on data management, visualisation, and programming (R).
- Introduction to Quantitative Methods in R
Two-week course on data management, analysis, and visualisation (R). [Evaluations]
Course supervisor: Johannes Karreth.
- Advanced Quantitative Data Analysis
Two-week course on methods of causal inference and prediction (Stata). [2019 evaluations] [2018 evaluations]
Course supervisor: Moritz Marbach.
Below I list a few helpful third-party materials on statistics. Please let me know should you encounter a broken link.
- "Math for Political Scientists" by J. Alexander Branham.
- Khan Academy has some general video lessons on basic and advanced math.
- Specifically for political scientists, Havard offers a booklet covering basic and advanced mathematical content (and some R and LaTeX).
- David Siegel provides a comprehensive math camp with video explanations.
- Seeing Theory provides visualisations of core statistical concepts.
- Learning Statistics with R is a book project by Danielle Navarro, mainly directed at psychology students (but broadly applicable).
- Loss Data Analytics is an open textbook project covering many data science topics using R. It is written by and for the actuarial science community, but its content is broadly applicable.
- Lecture slides on "Advanced Quantitative Research Methodology" (various topics) by Gary King.
- Comprehensive information and interactive materials on "The Fallacy of Placing Confidence in Confidence Intervals" by Richard D. Morey and others.
- Some more resources for learning Bayesian on LearnBayes.
- A visual explanation of Markov Chains by Victor Powell and Lewis Lehe.
- Online access to the book on machine learning & supplementary materials by Hastie et al. (2009).
- If you are new to R and RStudio, follow these instructions on Swirl.
- Essential R resources and further links are on Gary King's "Advanced Quantitative Research Methodology" website.
- Under the heading "Teaching", Garrett Glasgow has many neat code chunks on basic and advanced topics.
- For a steep learning curve, Kevin Shoemaker provides materials for an R bootcamp.
- The primers on the RStudio Cloud provide for interactive learning of basics and the tidy dialect.
- Andrew Heiss has a great course website for learning data visualization using ggplot.
- A rich online resource listing many different & mostly free books on R, kicked off by Oscar Baruffa.
- The bookdown project with many excellent books related to R and data science.
- For learning Stan, the official Stan User's Guide is very accessible and comprehensive.
- Two good and easy-to-follow introductions to Stata are provided by Ista Zahn at Havard and Germán Rodríguez at Princeton.